Best of the Web: Financial Literacy
Periodically we compile a list of the best of what the Internet has to offer to teachers—be that in the classroom or just in daily life. The current edition, “Civics Resources” highlights websites that feature financial tips and advice for teachers and/or students.
If you would like to suggest a topic, please email us at email@example.com.
- State Taxes Visual Resource
- This is a helpful visual that provides a comparative look at state taxes.
- Money Matters: A Guide to Teaching Finances to Children
- This feature includes a number of resources that allow teachers and parents to instruct young people on the do's and dont's of personal finance.
- Jump$tart Coalition
- Jump$tart is a coalition of organizations that strive to help young people prepare for a lifetime of sound financial decision-making.
- Financial Literacy 2010
- Training guides unique to each state are provided to aid high school teachers in improving the financial literacy of American's teenage population.
- Investor Education Clearinghouse
- This site includes a teachers’ guide on the basics of investing and links for students on how to invest.
- The Department of the Treasury
- Money Math, a four lesson curriculum supplement for middle school math classes on financial literacy, gives teachers a way incorporate financial lessons into regular instruction.
- US Securities and Exchange Commission
- Providing tips and talking points for both teachers and parents to help young people learn about saving and investing, this site also links to posters that teach young people about the importance of saving.
- This website provides tips for teens about money management and how to build good credit.
- The Stock Market Game
- The Stock Market Game teaches financial literacy by giving 4th-12th grade students the opportunity to invest a hypothetical $100,000 in a real-time portfolio.
- National Endowment for Financial Education
- NEFE provides students and teachers with practical money-management skills and an introduction to financial planning through course work that covers the fundamentals of money management.
- Practical Money Skills for Life
- Financial education resources on this site include lesson plans, tips for parents, and games, quizzes, and activities for kids.
- Education World
- In addition to listing statistics and facts about the influence of financial education on students, Education World also includes a comprehensive lesson plan on budgeting and credit card use.